Ben Dorries @dorries_cmail – The Courier-Mail
FIVE things you need to know from Doomben trackwork ahead of Saturday’s Group One meeting at Gold Coast.
1. NAJOOM worked well this morning at Doomben and is the favourite for the Group 1 Tatts Tiara on the Gold Coast on Saturday — but is not assured of getting a run. But connections sound confident that several above her in the order of entry will come out and allow her to get a place in the 16-horse starting field.
2. WHILE Tommy Berry was happy with Najoom’s spin around Doomben, he was particularly taken by the work of Sydney Cup winner The Offer. The Offer is one to watch first-up in the 1800m Handicap on the Gold Coast on Saturday before he is immediately spelled and brought back for the Spring.
3. STRADBROKE winner Srikandi has taken another chomp out of her handler Bianca Gilcrist (partner of trainer Ciaron Maher). It probably shows the mare is in great shape and ready to rumble, with the bite mark on Gilcrist’s shoulder the latest example of how Srikandi hates having her personal space invaded. She worked well at Doomben and the rain in southeast Queensland this week suits her nicely ahead of the Tiara. Don’t be surprised if she starts favourite.
4. WHILE Eagle Farm is out of action, visiting trainers are far from pleased about the conditions for their horses at Doomben. Group 1 Tatts Tiara girls were this morning forced to work on the A-grass at Doomben with officials ordering the track proper was out of action. It was far from ideal, with excuses varying from the rain which fell overnight to the fact they are racing at Doomben tomorrow.
5. THE last racing major of the season promises to be a ripper. It was hard to line all the contenders up this morning, with some working at Doomben and some on the Gold Coast. But with the likes of Najoom, Srikandi, Lumosty, Catkins, Avoid Lightning, Peggy Jean and Real Surreal going around in the Tiara, you would struggle to find a more classy Group 1 race for the girls.